Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day?

Like typical fashion, P and I decided to not exchange gifts for V Day, I was just glad to spend time with him (since half of the year he works weekends).  Although we spent the morning grocery shopping and the afternoon cleaning - romantic, hehe.

We were planning on making a fancier gluten & dairy free meal for the evening, but my Mom offered to make us dinner (along with my dad of course).  It is nice that my Mom wanted to tackle making a nice dinner for all of us (within the regulations of my diet).  She only asked that I make an appetizer (the one thing that I have not perfected-most of my old appetizer's were cheese and bread filled).

After finding gluten-free Worcestershire sauce & pretzels and noticing that corn & rice chex are gluten free, I decided to make a chex mix.  It turned out delicious, even after substituting dairy-free Smart Balance for butter.  I also made a very fresh tasting Guacamole.  Yum!

The most touching part came with dinner.  Some of you may know (some not) but my mother is an excellent cook.  She probably could have been a chef if she had really wanted to.  Anyway, she made a delicious cracked pepper & sea salt filet mignon, with skillet roasted potatoes and oven roasted asparagus (delicious).  For desert she made everyone else chocolate covered strawberries and a chocolate mouse but for me she made home-made dairy free tapioca.  Now this is not your store bought tapioca.  My mom used Almond milk instead of milk, sweetened with Agave nectar (I am not supposed to have much sugar), and with a bit of orange zest.  On top I got agave marinated fruit.  YUMMY!

Anyway, it was a very nice evening spent laughing with my parents and I was touched that she worked hard to make a meal that I could eat (even special desert).  A perfect valentine's day spent with those that I love.


Mom and I at Christmas!

No comments: