Monday, August 13, 2007

Running, Volunteering, and Such

Weekends for me used to be the time when I would take it easy. Get the house chores done, maybe go for a little hike, but lately it seems the weekends are on the go. After my disappointing three days without much cardio, I started my weekend out right.

Paul and I got up on Saturday morning at 7:00 am to exercise; I, with a 13 mi run and Paul (because we could not afford the GCT Half -Iron) decided to do a brick 50 mi bike ride followed by an 8 mi run. It was much cooler than the previous few days and a whole lot less humid. I fell into my typical "comfortable" pace as I ran that morning. I enjoy the fact that I live right next to Sand Run jogging park. There is the running path (which I turn into 8 mi there and back by going to Summit Mall), the awesome trails, the towpath around the corner, and the valley to bike in down the street. I also love days off from work and school; these are the days that I can do double workouts without pushing the limits of getting things done before it is pitch black. I was done with my run before 10 am and I was able to enjoy a slow breakfast and shower and a 20 minute cat nap before heading out for my 19.8 mi bike loop in the valley. I cannot tell you how much I have started to really enjoy the bike. There is something to be said about pumping up a hill just to get to fly down the other side at 30-40 mph. I never thought that I would be one to enjoy those fast downhills, but hey, I do have a little fighter pilot in me.

Paul and I reconvened together for an easy afternoon. He was completely zonked when he got home and I was fairly tired as well, so after a nice shower and a cold ice bath for Paul we laid down for what I call one of the best little naps I have had in awhile. It feels good to relax after that kind of energy expenditures, kind of a special treat for the long workouts. As much as P and I wanted to sleep for the whole afternoon we knew that we would have to move as we had received tickets to Cleveland Brown's pre-season opener against Kansas City Chiefs. My father and his pops came with us as well. We had great seats-35 yard line, 10 rows back. As P said "You can hear the crunch of bones from the tackles." I had never been to the new stadium and it was a blast, albeit the guys in front of us dropping F-bombs every play. We left early as P and I were volunteering at the Greater Cleveland Triathlon as safety boaters and that would require an early start. But GO BROWNS-they won.

Alarm went off at 4 am and P and I were feeling a little groggy. We got some stuff together for the day and were off to meet my boss in Mentor, OH for the GCT. As we were setting kayaks up to be safety boaters, the sun was rising on what was to be a beautiful morning for the event. One of P and I's closest friends Brandon was going for his first Half Ironman distance and it was nice to be able to support him, all the while participating in one of the best volunteer experiences I have had. If you do not know the Greater Cleveland Triathlon has three lengths of triathlons;
sprint-0.5 mi swim, 12 mi bike, 3.1 mi run, international- 0.75 mi swim, bike 23 mi, run 6.2 mi, and half ironman- 1.2 mi swim, 56 mi bike, 13.1 mi run. The GCT is run by a guy that I have gotten to know through my outdoor adventure and running stuff named Mickey and he not only supports triathletes and sports in the area but has run and set up this great event for the past few years. If you are looking to do a tri, this is one I would definitely recommend.

Anyway, we loved getting to paddle around making sure people were safe and then wait to cheer Brandon on for the rest of his event. He finished in a little less than 5 hours and 45 minutes...WAY TO GO B! He rocked on his first IM and it was only his first triathlon season. P was a little jealous that he did not get to participate, but next year he will be and he was just really glad to see B do so well. After such a long morning I was hoping to be able to take a nap (I like to sleep) but B was a bit stiff and a little out of it, so P drove him home with me following behind. We all ended up going to Winking Lizard to get B some food and beer and to celebrate such an accomplishment.

After a beer and some food, P and I quickly said goodbye's to B and got ready for our soccer game. Our game was at 6:45 pm and it had just poured right before we got there, which made it muggy and hot instead of cooling things down. I have to say I was drenched with sweat in a matter of moments but it was fun. I enjoy these muddy games where everyone is slipping and sliding. We lost but not without some heart. Needless to say, P and I had one of the best sleeps of our lives.

1 comment:

B Bop said...

Thank you so much for taking care of me post race. You and P are awesome!!!!!!

Indeed, you do have a little fighter pilot in you ;-)