Monday, September 10, 2007

Carpe Diem

Cliche, maybe. But at the same time there is a reason that for the term. As we all know life is short and at any moment, scope, or time I could be gone.

I guess I always, in theory, understood that life would end but at the same time I didn't. It became a reality when my father was diagnosed with CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia) about a year and a half ago and the naive belief that life was forever, just wasn't anymore. Since then I have felt that not only should I start hitting those lifetime goals but participating in life with all the vigor and gusto that it deserves. If I am on this earth for only one lifetime, then I should really involve myself in life itself. So I began to really carpe diem; which, ironically now includes running.

I was talking to a girl on my soccer team, Sharon, yesterday about why I run. I was never the runner...still not really. I hated it even. So why run now? My father was always a runner. Many times as a young'n he would ask me to join him, but usually with the answer no. After I hiked the Appalachian trail, my father was so inspired by my sister and I's journey that he decided to hit a lifetime goal of his, to run a marathon. He chose the inagural year of the Akron Marathon and I was there cheering him on. I was so inspired that he could even try something that seemed so hard and finish it as well, the thought still gives a little jump to my heart. He managed to finish three marathons since then and numerous runs. Ironically, after his Leukemia diagnosis, we realized that he had already had the disease during that first marathon and all the runs after...and yet he still managed to do them.

I must say that I run because of my father. As of right now he is still in good health and running. This weekend my father and I completed the 9 mile Potato Stomp on Saturday and the Buckeye Half Marathon on Sunday. If a 57 year old man with Leukemia can run that much then I have hope for myself and my future. My father really participates in life...to the fullest and he inspires me daily.

1 comment:

B Bop said...

....and he inspires me every time I see him out on the course. As I've said before, I wouldn't be out there if he hadn't started the chain of events.

Thank you Caper!!!!!

And nice job to you, running an 8 miler and half mary on 2 consecutive days. Well done!